Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Perris, CA Project











Progress is slow on my year-long PERRIS, CA project. If you recall, I'm doing a series of nine paintings depicting the downtown area of Perris, CA (all 3 blocks of it ) with mostly empty stores....I was struck by the emptiness of the site. Empty stores that are decimated by nearby big box stores - literally putting small businessmen out of business......I'm sure a sight repeated all over America in small towns everywhere....The ninth painting will be a wonderful old movie house called "The Chief”. It's been closed for what appears to be many years and has one of those 3-story pylons pointing to the heavens and adding a little bit of show biz to the building. This will be a separate painting and probably the last in the series. The other 8 paintings will all be only nine inches high by various lengths from 18" to 52" running horizontally.

I've painted the sky on all eight wanting to get consistent color between the paintings. I masked off the buildings upper profile so as not to get the sky color overlapping the structures. I'm using acrylic paint on the sky, but I might decide to use oil paint for the buildings.




No comments:

Post a Comment